It’s hard to believe, but the holiday shopping season is already here. Before you hit the stores with your shopping list, here are a few tips from the Better Business Bureau on avoiding scams this season:
- Shopping online: Use caution if you spot an online deal that seems too good to be true. You could end up paying for an item you’ll never receive.
- Online auctions and ads: Research the seller (look for ratings, comments from other purchasers, etc) and never wire money as payment. Remember if you have any doubts or reservations about the sale, trust your instinct and don’t make the purchase.
- Shopping at stores and malls: When you’re out and about doing your shopping, be mindful of your purse/wallet. Don’t get so loaded down with purchases, or distracted in the stores, that you lose track of these important items. If you use an ATM, remember to cover the keypad when entering your PIN.
- Charity Donations: If you want to donate to charity this holiday season, make sure to research the charity and where your money is going. (Remember, you can check out charities through the BBB, too.)
- Phishing email: Beware of the emails you open/respond to as it could be scammers trying to get your personal information. Don’t open attachments or click any links unless you have confirmed they aren’t malicious.
If you’re a Pre-Paid Legal member, you have toll-free access to experienced lawyers with your Life Events Legal PlanSM, 24/7 emergency access with Legal ShieldSM, and access to a variety of identity theft services, including restoration experts, with the Identity Theft ShieldSM. It’s a good time to have peace of mind as the holiday shopping season begins.